Eating at fast food restaurants doesn't have to set back your healthy life style (as long as you're not eating there everyday, of course.) Choose these options when at the drive through to upgrade your meal.
At all cost stay away from these high-calorie culprits:
- McCafe Shake in all flavors have over 830 calories each! and 147 grams of sugar which is equivalent to 36 spoons of sugar in one drink!! stay away!
- instead have small non-fat cappuccino which only has 60 calories
- Mcflurry (any flavor) has between 500 - 600 calories
- instead enjoy a reduced-fat vanilla ice cream cone for 150 calories
- Angus bacon and cheese sandwich has 790 calories or Angus chipotle BBQ bacon sandwich which has 800 calories and 39 grams of fat! Both sandwiches have over 2000 mg of sodium, more than you should have all day!
- Drink water instead of soda and save around 150 calories
- Swap out full fat salad dressing which has 170 calorie for the low-fat version and save over a hundred calories
- Always ask for your sandwiches without mayo and save a 100 calories (a lot of the sandwiches have it in them.) Have ketchup or mustard instead
- Avoid any of the special dipping sauces or salad dressings and save 100-200 calories.
- Avoid any of the meal salads, all of the salads were high in calories like the Baja salad for example, has 730 calories, 1970 grams of sodium, and 47 grams of fat! Any person would think they are being healthy by ordering a salad but they are actually worse than the burgers.
- Side garden salad is a good side option, however, have it with no croutons, and choose light ranch, fat-free french, or fat-free raspberry vinaigrette to save over a 100 calories.
- The potato has more calories than the fries but it is still a better option because its lower in sodium, lower in fat, and higher in fiber (7g.)
- Most of the food is very high in calories
- only pick 1 item from the diet fresco menu and have it with water or a diet soda
Additional Fast-food restaurant tips:
- If there is a fast food resturant you like to eat at that i didnt include, just go on the company website and look for nutrition facts.
- As a rule of thumb if the food has a fancy long decorative name - it probably has too many calories and you should skip it.
- Try to save calories by drinking water. The super size sodas can have as much as 500 calories!
- Calories hide in drinks, shakes, speciality coffees, dipping sauces, salad dressing, mayo, and other sauces - so keep it simple just ketchup and mustard and regular coffee with low fat milk.
- The food in fast food restaurants is very high in calories, saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium so limit eating out at these restaurants to no more than 1 time per week, preferably 1 time in 2-3 weeks.
- Healthier fast-food options include Boston market, and ready foods at whole-foods or fresh market.