When we're feeling blue we immediately want to reach for ice-cream or cake. But those foods actually can make you feel worse by causing guilt later. Instead try these healthy foods that have been shown to raise your mood:
- Saffron - Shown in studies to support mood. Many recipes using saffron are available on www.foodnetwork.com search "saffron."
- Green Tea - The L-theanine in green tea has been shown to have a calming effect. Try full leaf teas such as tea forte for best benefits and taste. Full leaf teas are available at whole foods, fresh market, or other health stores.
- Omega 3 fatty acids - A study showed that supplements decreased occurrence of depressive symptoms. Omega 3 is naturally found in ground flax seed (sprinkle on top of yogurt and salad or blend into smoothies,) and salmon. If you need help picking a supplement refer to my article about omega 3 supplements.
- Tryptophan - An amino acid that has been shown to help with mood. Found in turkey, soy, meat, and spinach.
- Magnesium - Found in nuts, green leafy vegetables such as spinach, halibut fish, black beans, and whole-wheat bread.
- Folic Acid - Found in fruit, green leafy vegetables such as spinach and collard greens, and lentils.
- Vitamin B-12 - Found in meat and fish such as salmon, tuna, and cod.
(Source: Food technology journal & medline+)
Tip of the day:
If you are feeling blue, other than these foods watch a funny show or movie such as Friends or Superbad. Comedies raise mood-boosting endorphins. Even anticipation of watching the comedy raised endorphins by 27% in a study.
(Source: shape magazine, dec 2011)