Chances are you heard about Omega 3 fatty acids and Omega 6 fatty acid. I've done all the research and here is the facts:
- Omega 6 fatty acids are found in the common foods that we eat in the western diet
- Omega 3 fatty acids are found in oily fish and algae foods that are not commonly consumed in the western diet
- Because of this, we consume WAY MORE omega 6 fatty acids than we do omega 3 fatty acids.
|PUFA = Poly Unsaturated Fatty Acids|
- Unfortunately for us, Omega 6 fatty acids in the body lead to inflammation, which is the root cause to almost all chronic diseases.
- Most pain medications we take are under a class of "Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Medication," so you can see how detrimental inflammation is to our body.
- Inflammation is a natural response our body gets to cuts or trauma, but in the case of chronic diseases it is an uncontrolled response.
- Omega 3 fatty acids, on the other hand, lead to anti-inflammation. This is extremely important in overall health and wellness.
- Here are some benefits from omega 3 fatty acids in our health and wellness:
- Come back tomorrow to read my post of the anti-inflammatory diet. It includes foods that promote anti-inflammation in the body and is a diet perfect for over all health, wellness, and longevity.
- Also, unless you eat fish such as salmon 3 times a week, most people benefit from a fish oil supplement of 1.5 grams a day or more. Read my previous post here which outlines how to choose the right fish oil supplement.