I read a study that posted the posters below (Burn calories, Not electricity, Take the stairs!) at 3 buildings and monitored the effect of this "point-of-decision cues" on increasing stair usage.
Benefits of taking the stairs
- Easy way to get in more physical activity in your day
- Aids with weight management and weight loss efforts
- Offers heart health because it raises your heart rate
- Reduces stroke risk by 29%
- Reduces cholesterol
- Increase leg strength
|SOURCE: American Journal of Preventive Medicine|
Pin It The study results were great. Stair usage increased significantly at all buildings were it was placed. It increased by about 30% and maintained the increase over a period on 9 months. These results show that simple, low cost interventions such as these can have a great impact on our health.
- If you are feeling especially humanitarian get these posters or similar ones posted in your apartment building of office building near the elevators and stairs. Use this study results as a back up for your effort.
- Take a picture of this poster and set it as the background of your cell phone to use as a cue for you to remember to take the stairs more often.
- Follow the rule of 3 - if you are going up or down 3 or less flights - take the stairs.
- Use this as inspiration for other point-of-decision cues you can place around your house:
- example: "Eat more fruits & Veggies" on your refrigerator door can help with prompting you and your family members to choose more fruits and veggies.
Check back on this blog, The Nutrition Vault for more health and wellness and weight loss advice!