I read an article in January's issue of Today's Dietitian which sparked my interest in the Meatless Monday campaign. Meatless Monday is a non-profit initiative to help individuals reduce their meat consumption by the recommended 15% which will improve not only your health but also your carbon foot print.
Some of the health benefits of cutting out meat one day a week include:
- reducing risk of heart disease
- limit cancer risk
- lowering cholesterol
- lowering blood pressure levels and hypertension
- improve your diet by increasing fiber and lowering saturated fat and total fat intake
Some benefits for our planets include:
- reduce carbon foot print – it is estimated by the UN that the meat industry generates about 1/5 of the man-made greenhouse gas emissions
- reduce water usage – the usage of water for livestock are much larger then needed for vegetable of grain growth. (1800-2500 gallons of water go into one pound of beef)
- Reduce fuel dependence – 40 calories of fossil fuel goes into the production of 1 calorie of beef as opposed to 2.2 calories of fossil fuel into making 1 calorie of grains.
With all these benefits no wonder the meatless Monday movement gets so much support! Some supporters include Chef Mario Batali, Oprah Winfrey, food activist Michael Polland, The Food Network, and Gwyneth Paltrow.
Go to www.meatlessmonday.com to pledge to me meat less every monday and for recipes!
I also write a blog for the fresh diet
check it out here: